Sunday, March 18, 2007

June 2006 / Comic Reading & Collecting ... Reborn

I officially started reading comic books again back in the first week of June 2006. There was some down time for me in the office after punching out from the time clock. Since there was no bus until 5:00AM to get home, I had at least a few hours of reading time.

I logged in the internet to see what's a good book to read. I kept coming across Green Lantern Rebirth for some reason. I read up some reviews and articles on it since the end of 2005. I could not believe Hal Jordan was killed off back in the early 1990s. I have been out of touch of comic books lore for close to 16 years, with an intermission for the summer of 1995 or 1996, with the glossy comic book looks of the Marvel Comics.

I called a local comic book store in the area. I was surprised that there were not that many anymore. I went there and decided to purchase one.

I was surprised at the quality of the comic books. Both the written story and the visual art. It was simply light years ahead of what I recalled when I used to read them back in junior high school. My jaw dropped when I read the Green Lantern Rebirth hardcover book, reprinting the 6-issues of the limited series. I was also surprised at the standard price of each new comic book for sale. $ 2.99 for a single issue. It is pretty steep, but the overall quality is simply amazing, with the glossy paper, slick art, and story geared towards an adult audience and not children.

I have definitely been out of touch.

I have since purchased about a thousand comic books and graphic novels since then. But this Green Lantern Rebirth started it all last year for me once again.



I will use this blog as a place where I can write a review about a comic book or graphic novel I have read. I will discuss any aspects I feel I should that comes off the top of my head. I can have a commentary about anything as well. I am enjoying this new found hobby once again. If you want to have a hobby, it may as well be something you enjoy a whole lot.

No comments: