Sunday, March 18, 2007

Books on the Buy List and Why


Green Lantern: Rebirth Graphic Novel comprising of issues 1 to 6 of the limited series. The hardbook graphic novel also showcased Ethan Van Sciver's sketches. The new on going regular series issues 1 to 17. I immediately bought issues 1 to 9 last year along with the GL Rebirth graphic hardbound novel. There have been different artists doing the visuals. My favorite is still Ethan Van Sciver, but the recent artist, Ivan Ries is beginning to grow on me. I will describe art in another post. That way I can go on to more details. But the main part I love about Green Lantern is...GEOFF JOHNS. This writer just has IT. At the same time he shows respect to the character and its history. At the same time, he keeps adding to the Green Latnern mythology. The main theme is redemption. We all make mistakes, and we all want a second chance. Hal Jordan, Green Lantern of sector 2814 has made a catastrophic mistake, and is given a second chance in life by Geoff Johns.


Batman / Superman: I bought this when I saw on the ad that Ethan Van Sciver was going to handle the visuals on this book last year. At the same time, Jeph Loeb was leaving DC and signing on with Marvel. The writer that will replace him was Mark Verheiden, who was a writer for the show, Smallville. At the same time, he wrote the Superman book for a little over 2 years. He is more of an introspective type of writer. Of course, a book with the two main DC Icons, Superman and Batman, it should be more action-oriented and with epic plot lines. I am sure we won't have that with Verheiden. But I am sold on the idea that Etahn Van Sciver is the main visaul artist on this book. Basically, I am purchasing these books for the visual art combined with the two main icons as the starring role here. I started buying the back issues immediately last year. My first issue of this was number 27, with an Infinite Crisis tie-in story. The cover featured Power Girl and The Huntress.


Manhunter: I love Mark Andreyko's writing on this book. DC tried to cancel this book three times due to low sales. But this is a critically acclaimed book. We have a respectable female hero who is a lawyer who is works for the law in her private life, and in her superhero life is a superhero who is willing to kill above the law. She is a well-rounded character. A divorced mom. And a kick-ass type of character. I'll write more on this. I love this book not for the visual, as I find the visual art team here as average or below. However, the writing is superb and greatly done. I am a Mark Andreyko fan as of last year. I love the story lines and how the character grows.

I'll add more on what books I purchase or purchased. I will also write some reviews on some of the books I've read as well.

No comments: