Saturday, June 30, 2007

Wolverine Origins #15



Wolverine Origins #15

Posted: Friday, June 29
By: Ken
Rating: 3.5

"Swift and Terrible" (Conclusion)

Writer: Daniel Way
Artists: Steve Dillon (p), Matt Milla (colors)

Publisher: Marvel Comics

I dropped Wolverine Origins from my monthly buy list a few months ago because the series did not live up to my expectations. After the first couple of issues, the series seemed like a red delicious apple tasting like a grapefruit. You expected one thing and received something completely different. It was a letdown. Nonetheless, I picked this issue up from the rack and wanted to see if Daniel Way made a 180 degree turn, perhaps gave the returning fans something worthwhile to look forward to again.

Plot: Wolverine brings Cyber to the Tinkerer to be patched up. Cyber gives Wolverine a revelation behind the deaths of the lovers throughout his life. A caged Daken is being disciplined with corporal punishment. And the Tinkerer's guest appearance in this issue results in Wolverine smiling at the end of the issue.

Comment:
I would have given this book a higher rating, but I seem to be suffering apprehension from previous issues. Let's see if the series can now maintain a "must buy" status. But all in all, this book was solid. I am still wondering if I actually read a Wolverine Origins book. The plot moved forward. The art was good. Daniel Way wrote a serious and funny story at the same time by providing an interesting flashback in Wolverine's life. The guest appearance by a deceased Canadian group leader in the flashback made me lose sympathy for his death years back. The man makes Tony Stark (after Civil War) appear like a genuine boy scout. However, I am still astonished reading this issue completely without placing it in the shelf half-way through the story as I did with previous issues.

The revelations in this book were so immense that I did not even notice the ads in this issue. Cyber's explanation on Wolverine's predatory-wild-animal-side in connection to the death of his lovers in itself is worth half the price. I tip my hat off to Daniel Way for bringing us this explanation. The third to last page with Wolverine's genuine smile captured brilliantly by Steve Dillon is worth the other half of the price. What made Wolverine smile? Go purchase the book now. You will be satisfied with the answer to that question.

I also want to point out the fact that Steve Dillon's pencils on the flashback portion was outstanding in its simplicity. It's clean cut, just like the soldiers in that flashback. Add Matt Milla's colors and that flashback just adds that nostalgic feeling of yesteryears. Back in the current timeline, look at the rims on the Tinkerer's wheelchair on page 6. Professor X's rims should have that "X" look.

Final words:
Wolverine's genuine smile at the end. I never came across a comic book with a genuine smile on Wolverine. It did not feel forced. And the revelations regarding the death of the women in Logan's life captured the tragedy that is Logan's life. I highly recommend this issue.

No comments: