Wednesday, March 21, 2007


This was the 1st issue cover that came out during the summer of 2006 when the all new Atom was introduced in the DC Universe. Dr. Ryan Choi replaced the existing superhero, The Atom. It is the first actual Asian character to have a spotlight comic book of his own in the general mainstream media here in the U.S.A. I am still amazed that minorities are making strides in the mainstream media, particularly Asians.

Unfortunately, there are still racism even when it comes to comic books. I was in a comic book store to purchase this and the white owner of the store commented on why DC had to cater to colored people. The racist owner of the comic book store further said that he was happy having Ray Pamler as the Atom, and that he did not need to be chinese. He views this politically correct stand by DC to be a load of crap. Let me just say that the man was in his 70s and a white Jewish American owner of a comic book store.

Oh well. That's a minor problem. As for me, I am okay with the series so far. I liked the progression that Ryan Choi has taken to becoming a super hero. I find his trials and tribulations to be comical. And the writing has been handled quite impressively by Gail Simone, who is the regular scribe for the Birds of Prey series. The all new Atom series has a lot of amusing scenes within each issue. My favorite is when the physics professors get together in the basement for poker and have their chit chat. The dialogue among them is very funny and amusing.

No comments: